Press "Enter" to skip to content

West Nile Is Confirmed Within the Areas of Milwaukee

The University of Wisconsin Medical Entomology Lab has confirmed that a mosquito within Milwaukee has tested positive for the West Nile Virus (WNV). There’s currently no confirmed case of a sick human. Health officials are advising people to take care of themselves.

These positive mosquitoes are a reminder that West Nile virus may be present in areas around the state, said State Health Officer Jeanne Ayers. We urge everybody in Wisconsin to take precautions to prevent mosquito bites and the illnesses they spread.

Its Summer now, and it’s important that residents stay vigilant about stopping mosquito bites, mentioned Commissioner of Health- Dr. Jeanette Kowalik.

Roughly 80% of individuals infected with WNV don’t experience symptoms. The remaining 20% could experience fever, rash, headache fatigue, and joint pain. Symptom onset is often 3 to 14 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. In rare instances, WNV can cause severe illness resulting in possible muscle weakness, stiff neck, disorientation, tremors, convulsions, paralysis. Old and people with weak immune systems are at an increased risk. There is no particular treatment for WNV. Symptomatic supportive care is offered when applicable.

WNV has spread the bite of an infected mosquito. Moreover, it isn’t transmitted individual to individual. Symptomatic supportive care is provided when appropriate. DHS and the MHD remind individuals to take steps to prevent mosquito bite. Specific consideration should be taken while going outside to roam- like various use of Mosquito repellents and wearing long selves.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *