E-cigarette manufacturer Juul Labs said Thursday it would entirely halt U.S. sales of all flavors besides tobacco, mint, and menthol, as the company faces intensified scrutiny from regulators, legislators, and state attorneys general upon the appeal of its nicotine items to teenagers.
Thursday’s move, which ends online sales, means Juul’s mango, fruit, creme, and cucumber nicotine pod flavors will no longer be accessible for sale anywhere in the U.S. The corporate last year removed those flavors from retail stores, however, continued to sell them on its website with what the corporate said were “strict age-verification controls.”
Juul’s new chief executive, K.C. Crosthwaite, a veteran of Marlboro producer Altria Group, declared the transfer Thursday as the corporate attempts to repair its ties with regulators.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned Juul in September that it was misleading shoppers by marketing its merchandise as safer than cigarettes, and requested additional info on its nicotine mix. Soon after, the Trump government declared plans to ban all flavored e-cigarette products, citing alarming growth in teenage use of the products.
Crosthwaite stated in a press release Thursday that the corporate needs to “reset the vapor class” by “incomes the trust of society,” working “cooperatively” with regulators and lawmakers.
He previously mentioned the corporate would suspend all advertising in the U.S., cease its support of a San Francisco poll measure that would overthrow an e-cigarette ban, and refrain from promoting the Trump management on the proposed flavor ban.