IS THIS START OF A NEW ERA OF POWASSAN VIRUS IN CONNECTICUT?
Neurological disorders have been a headache for most doctors and people. When it comes to neurological disorders some might have a treatment and others might not. Some are also very dangerous. We can’t figure out what disease can take you to what stage of neurological disorder. Diseases like Alzheimer’s, strokes, Parkinson’s, etc. are very dangerous and they also don’t have a cure.
We should make ourselves safe from these diseases as these are caused because of not taking proper care of our bodies. Neurological disorders are very risky because it is our brain that controls our body organs. If anything these diseases happen to our brain then it can lead to paralyzed of your full body. Many neurological diseases can lead you to death. Studies have shown that disease such as PD, epilepsy, and AD is three leading neurological disease that can cause people to die. You might not believe that there are diseases that are caused by insects but are such diseases. Diseases like Powassan, Encephalitis, etc. are typically caused by insects. Lets us acknowledge more about Powassan.
WHAT IS PAWASSAN VIRUS?
Powassan virus is a tick’s borne disease that is caused by getting bitten by a tick. This disease is very rarely found and can cause neurological disorders. In North Caroline, this virus is very rare but they are rising nationally. This virus was first spread in 1956 in Ontario. This virus is not deadly but is affect our neural system. A boy named William Phillips in North Caroline was affected by this disease, he was five years old when he got bitten by a tick. At first, his parents couldn’t find out what has happen to the boy but 1 month later when they did several tests. They found out that their child was affected by powassan disease which doesn’t have a cure. The boy was having seizures and couldn’t keep anything down. Recently, we heard that William is slowly improving. Powassan can cause threatening inflammation to the brain since 2006, more than 100 people have died due to this virus as I told it is a very rare virus but that doesn’t it is not harmful. Powassan virus can also be spread by blood from person to person.
This disease is spread by the same insects which spread Lyme disease. Research says that Lyme disease is affected only when the tick is attached to the body for more than 24 hours but Powassan takes only 15 minutes to affect and it takes not more than 1 week to show a result. An estimation of only 90% of people survives from Powassan disease and the rest 10% die. Mostly these Ticks are found in lake countries and on the eastern starboard.
Image from fineartamerica
SYMPTOMS OF POWASSAN DISEASE
Many persons who have been infected with the Powassan virus exhibit no symptoms but it usually takes Powassan virus 1-4 weeks after a tick bite to show its symptoms. Some of the symptoms are mentioned below:
- Breathing problems
RECENT POWASSAN VIRUS DEAD IN CONNECTICUT
There was a recent Powassan case in Connecticut, the southernmost state in New England. The cases stated that a woman in Connecticut who was affected by Powassan disease died on May 17 said to health officials. Her symptoms started to appear after 1 week of getting bitten by a tick. She was just 90 years old and had symptoms like headache, vomiting, nausea, chest pain, etc. Her dead news was told by the Connecticut health officials in the press, on 7, July 2022.
There was one more case earlier in Connecticut where a 50-year-old man was affected by the Powassan virus and had the same symptoms. This shows that the Powassan virus is affected mostly the old people who have a low immune system. As there is no cure for this Powassan virus but there are some precautions that you can take to avoid getting bitten by Powassan-carrying tick.
PRECAUTIONS THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN TO AVOID GETTING BITTEN BY POWASSAN CARRYING TICK
As there is no cure for this virus but there is a certain precaution you can take that can avoid this virus to affect your body. Doctors have also said that you should anticipate that they are everywhere. Some precautions that can be taken are:
- Wearing light color clothes when you are in the jungle or a woody area.
- Covering your full body and wearing long boots when you are in a jungle or a woody area.
- Use insects-killing spray on every corner of your house.
- Clear your house once a week.
- Clear your dogs twice a week as a tick can stay inside the long fur of your dog.
You can also visit our other page for the latest news regarding Alzheimer’s disease
For further information regarding Powassan disease, you can visit this website: cdc.gov